THE SAINT SOPHIA CHURCH
The Saint Sophia Church is one of the few preserved Christian basilicas in Bulgarian lands.
It was built in the VI century on the site of several earlier churches from IV and V century.
At the end of the XIV century it was rebuilt in a mosque with a minaret. It suffered the earthquakes in 1818 and 1858.
Along with the church "St. George", it is one of the oldest and most valuable historical sites of Sofia from its Roman period.
It is located in the centre of the holiest place of the centuries-old city, the so-called "Serdika Necropolis".
Beneath the entire church lies its rich archaeological level, consisting of ancient tombs whose display is already a fact.
The Saint Sophia Church "St. Sophia" is an archaeological and architectural monument of national importance.