THE NATIONAL ART GALLERY
The National Art Gallery was established in 1948. The building of the National Art Gallery is situated on the site of the former town-hall of the Beylerbeylik of Rumelia.
Immediately after the Liberation in 1878, began its reconstruction where the extensions of the building aimed at establishing a representative official palace built by the best examples of European architecture. The architects Vr. Grunanger and Rumpelmeyer worked on the design.
After 1944 the palace was used as national gallery of art and ethnographic museum, with artificially raised level to the square.
The interior is extremely rich in architectural-artistic synthesis.
The building of the National Art Gallery is a historical, architectural and artistic monument of culture of national importance.