THE CENTRAL SOFIA MARKET HALL
A decision to build a covered market for the sale of meat and dairy products, poultry, fish, vegetables and fruits in the city centre was taken already in the end of the XIX century. Originally, the market was housed in a large wooden building in the city centre. With the expansion and development of the city, in the early years of the XIX century, a decision was made to build a special new building. The design process began in 1907.
The building of the Central Sofia Market Hall, built in the period 1909-1911 by architect Naum Torbov, is among the most functional and beautiful Bulgarian architectural models from the beginning of the XX century. The facades are very rich in stone sculptures and other elements of architectural-artistic synthesis. Above the main entrance, in the vault arch is the relief of the coat of arms of Sofia created by the artist Haralampi Tachev.
At the end of the XX century, the Market Hall was renovated, restored and reconstructed, and in 2001 it opened again its doors for the citizens of Sofia. Within the overhaul, the archaeological remains of the Roman period of Sofia were uncovered and exposed in the basement.