SOFIA UNIVERSITY St. KLIMENT OHRIDSKI
At the end of the XIX century, the famous Bulgarian merchants and donors, the brothers Evlogi and Hristo Georgievi provided the amount of 6 million levs for the construction of a modern university building.
The building of Sofia University "St. Kliment Ohridski" was built in three stages for nearly half a century.
The original building, the so-called "Rectorate", was designed by the architects Bréançon, N. Lazarov and G. Nenov, J. Milanov and covered the period 1907-1920.
In 1906, an international competition was held for the design. It had to accommodate the Rectorate and the then existing faculties of the Sofia University. The competition was won by the French architect Henri Bréançon. Unfortunately, the unfavourable social, political and economic situation during the wars of 1912 - 1918, as well as the subsequent national catastrophes, hampered the implementation of the project.
In 1920, architect Yordan Milanov developed a new design for the University; the construction began in 1924 and ended in 1934.
Expansion of the building continued in 1941 - 1952 and 1972 - 1985.
The construction of the South Wing was performed during the period 1940 - 1952 on the design of architect L. Konstantinov. The current look of the university complex was shaped after the completion of its North Wing in the period 1972 - 1985.
In terms of the interior and facade, the building is rich in architectural and artistic synthesis. There coexist renaissance, baroque and classical forms. Prominent Bulgarian artists took part in the exterior and interior architectural design of Sofia University: the sculptor Kiril Shivarov - author of the seated bronze statues of the brothers Evlogi and Hristo Georgievi, the sculptors Mihail Parashchuk, Ivan Fuunev and Lyuben Dimitrov – authors of the plastic decoration of the façade and the wings, the artists Ivan Penkov and Haralambi Tachev – authors of the stained glass windows in the central building of the Rectorate.
The building of Sofia University is an architectural, historical and artistic monument of culture of national importance.