IVAN VAZOV National Theatre
The building of the National Theatre in Sofia was completed in 1907. It was designed by the Viennese architects F. Fellner and H. Helmer and was built on the site occupied in the 80s of the XIX century by the wooden structure of “Osnova” Theatre. The theatre is named after the classic - poet and writer Ivan Vazov.
For the construction of the new theatre, the National Assembly passed a law on raising of funds and Sofia Municipality provided the terrain.
The building was designed by the Viennese architects Fellner and Helmer, who are authors of several dozen theatre buildings in many European capitals and other cities.
The facade in neoclassical style is impressive, with six columns supporting a triangular pediment, on which god Apollo is surrounded by muses of the arts.
In 1923, the building was damaged by a fire, from which survived only the central façade, but the building was restored in 1929 by the German architect Martin Dülfer. Later in 1974-1976, a major reconstruction of the original appearance of the National Theatre was carried out as well as substantial changes in its interior. The building was restored in its original look in 1976.
Ivan Vazov National Theatre is the largest theatre in Bulgaria and one of the architectural landmarks of Sofia.
Many of the pioneers of Bulgarian theatrical art and our greatest theatre artists of the last century have performed on its stage.